Before hitting the track, it’s a good idea to eat something so that you don’t experience a dip in your performance because of a blood sugar drop. However, if you eat the wrong foods before a run you can end up feeling sluggish or have a blood sugar spike, which are both very damaging to your performance. So when loading up before a run, here are the best foods to eat:
- Energy Bars: Energy bars are great. They have a good balance of protein to build muscles and carbs to supply energy. Just be careful because a lot of energy bars have a high amount of sugar, so read the the label before picking one.
- Bananas: Bananas are great because they are high in potassium, so they help with muscle repair and hydration. They are also loaded with complex carbohydrates to give you sustained energy.
- Oatmeal: If you are looking for something a little more filling that won’t weigh you down, a small bowl of oatmeal is great. Oatmeal is high in protein, carbohydrates, and fiber, so it’s a great pre-run meal to supply you with energy.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is incredibly high in calcium and whey protein, which is the easiest protein for our bodies to digest. Yogurt helps strengthen muscles and bones. If you want a blast of carbohydrate energy, top a bowl of yogurt with your favorite granola.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are the ultimate pre-run superfood. They are loaded with protein, minerals, vitamins, and amino acids to keep your body strong. Plus, since they are a small snack, they’ll never weigh you down. You can also eat nut or seed butters for a snack on some whole grain bread for a powerful burst of complex carbohydrate energy.
- Orange: Oranges are loaded with juice, fiber, and natural sugar. They will keep you hydrated while you work out and will give you plenty of energy.
- Dates: Dates are a great pre-run snack because they are full of natural sugars and fiber for energy and they also contain high levels of potassium for muscle function.
These foods are all great options for a pre-run snack. Make sure that you pair these great foods with plenty of water so you can stay hydrated. For more information on runner’s diet, check out our blog at World Record Camps. We have tons of tips and food ideas to give runners the energy they need to perform on the track.